Township of Zorra
Adjust Font Size:

Home Contact Us
Township of Zorra
 

Message from Fire Department about Light Bulb Safety

"Below is a picture of a CFL light bulb from my bathroom. I turned it on the other day and then smelled smoke after a few minutes. Four inch flames were spewing out of the side of the ballast like a blow torch! I immediately turned off the lights. But I'm sure it would have caused a fire if I was not right there. Imagine if the kids had left the lights on as usual when they were not in the room. I took the bulb to the Fire Department to report the incident. The Fireman wasn't at all surprised and said that it was not an uncommon occurrence. Apparently, sometimes when the bulb burns out there is a chance that the ballast can start a fire. He told me that the Fire Marshall had issued reports about the dangers of these bulbs.

Upon doing some Internet research, it seems that bulbs made by“Globe” in China seem to have the lion’s share of problems. Lots of fires have been blamed on misuse of CFL bulbs, like using them in recessed lighting, pot lights, dimmers or in track lighting. Mine was installed in a normal light socket.

I will be removing all the Globe bulbs from my house. CFL bulbs are a great energy saver but make sure you buy a name brand like Sylvania, Phillips or GE and not the ones from China."

light  bulb

Ontario is taking another step to keep families and homes in Ontario safe by making carbon monoxide alarms mandatory in all residential homes. CO alarms have been mandatory in new residential buildings containing a fuel-burning appliance (e.g. a gas furnace/stove) or a storage garage (for motor vehicles) since 2001.  The New Regulation states that Existing residential occupancies that contain at least one fuel-burning appliance (e.g., gas water heater or gas furnace), fireplace or an attached garage, require the installation of a CO alarm.  Carbon monoxide detectors will now be required near all sleeping areas in residential homes and in the service rooms, and adjacent sleeping areas in multi-residential units. Carbon monoxide alarms can be hardwired, battery-operated or plugged into the wall.

Visit the Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management for further information.

9-Volt Battery Recycling

CAUTION: Be careful when recycling batteries, especially 9 volt batteries found in many of our smoke detectors today! Smoke detector batteries should be replaced regularly and therefore they may still be carrying a charge when you remove them, causing a potential fire hazard if stored incorrectly.


Recycling and disposing of these batteries is simple.  Place a piece of electrical tape over the positive and negative terminals preventing them from making contact which will assist with the elimination of a potential hazard of stored batteries. Click here to watch an informative video

REMEMBER: Safety starts at home. 

For more information please contact John McFarlan, Township of Zorra Fire Chief at 519-485-2490 ext. 240.



John McFarlan, Fire Chief for the Township of Zorra, provides articles the contain lots of general knowledge when it comes to fire safety.  Be sure to look for his articles in our Zorra Now magazines!